Saturday, March 03, 2007

Startling Wes Clark Interview: Seven Countries in Five Years


In a live-audience interview at the 92nd Street Y Cultural Center New York City, Amy Goodman interviewed Four Star General (Ret.) Wes Clark for Democracy Now. They talked about his presidential aspirations, courageous effort to stop an iran war, and collaborative effort with Stop Iran War and Vote Vets.

Although I am not currently a Clark supporter, I strongly believe Wes Clark is making a powerful contribution to America and the Democratic Party. 


Clark confirmed what many of us have feared, that the Bush administration does have a plan for war without end, a plan to pick off one country after another.  Americans have a right to know what this administration is up to.  And Wes Clark is on a pretty short list of real heroes.  Amazingly, Clark said this:


So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, "Are we still going to war with Iraq?" And he said, "Oh, it's worse than that." He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, "I just got this down from upstairs" -- meaning the Secretary of Defense's office -- "today." And he said, "This is a memo that describes how we're going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran." I said, "Is it classified?" He said, "Yes, sir." I said, "Well, don't show it to me." And I saw him a year or so ago, and I said, "You remember that?" He said, "Sir, I didn't show you that memo! I didn't show it to you!"

Here's what Clark has said previously about the notion of war as the Bush-preferred method of solving problems:

"... surely we have learned by now that, particularly in this region, force and the threats of force should be the last, last, last resort. ... It is past time to ask our elected officials in the White House and Congress to exercise leadership: recognize the real strategic challenge we face, and start to work now to avoid an escalation and widening of conflict in the Mideast."


Message to the Democratic Congress:  Hello!  Is anyone (besides Jim Webb) out there?" Let the investigations, and resolutions preventing a run-away, perpetual war begin.  NOW!